YESA Founding Board Members
Mr Steve Rich
Steve is currently the Managing Member of Satelles Communications cc, a small organisation that specialises in technology and market development for mostly international companies wanting to operate in Africa. Before Satelles, Steve was CEO of a Broadband via satellite start up company, SkyeVine providing affordable broadband to the Sub-Saharan market.
In his position of Vice President and General Manager for SES Astra of Luxemburg, in Africa, Steve was responsible for the development of the African market. A 20 year veteran of satellite service development in Africa and else ware, Steve has held positions of Regional Vice President, EMEA and Senior Vice President Core Business Development for his previous company, PanAmSat in the US. Leading up to his involvement in the satellite industry, Steve has occupied engineering, R&D and executive positions in sensor systems development both locally and internationally.
Among his achievements are:
- Lead the technical team that designed and produced the first commercial radar system in Africa
- Introduced the first privately owned commercial satellite service in Africa via PanAmSat, of which Multichoice is a customer.
- Participated in the design and provided the product structure of five satellites for the African market, all of which currently operate at full capacity
- Founder of African subsidiaries for PanAmSat and Astra
- Initiator and founder member of the establishment team of TopTV
- Founder director and shareholder in SkyeVine
- Founder and co-owner of Satelles Communications cc
Steve is an engineering graduate of University of KZN, member of the IEEE and AES.