FabKids - Theodor Herzl 19 August 2011
We decided that we would make a vase with moving flowers. We first discussed in our group all of our different ideas. We then made a common decision about how we would make the flowers and the device that would make the flowers rotate. We then gathered together with Group 2 and discussed how we would make the entire product. We decided that we would rather make the flowers move up and down instead of it rotating by means of a lever. We then designed and cut the “cheap mistake”, but it didn't work out because our measurements weren't accurate. We gathered together with Group 2 again and spoke about our mistakes and how we were planing to fix it. We then kept in contact with Group 2 so that the measurement stayed the same. We then cut another “cheap copy” so that we can check all of our angles and measurement before cutting our proper copy.
Then we cut the perspex copy and found out that the base of our vase was too small! So we went back model.
Despite all our struggles, this was an amazing experience and we all really enjoyed it! Thank you!
We all decided that a moving structure was a must. We then had debates concerning the theme, from nail polish holders to toys. Finally we decided to do a moving model of a vase, while the other half of our group did the connecting part, the flowers that can move up and down.
The other half of our groups process was almost a success, until we found out that the lever part wouldn't be able to fit in our vase. This, on the other hand, did not apply to us as the base of our triangle did not comply with the rest of the sides.
We finally overcame our problems and the challenge was successfully completed. Our end product was exactly how we inagined it to be, and we had lots of fun assembling it!
Lastly we would just like to thank YESA for this wonderful opportunity. As it was lots of fun, informative and we hope we will have the opportunity to do this again.
We started off thnking that this experience would be easy but we were sadly mistaken. We were made to think for ourselves and had to come up with a structure that would be made from perspex and the would move. Our group took a while to come up with some good ideas but once we had thought of windmill we knew that that would be the stucture that we would make.
At first we struggled to come up with a way to build the object but when gemma and i put our brains together we finally worked out a way to construct our windmill. The measuring and designing of this windmill took a while and we had to be very precise as measurements were so vital. i had so much fun with this programme and found out that things are a lot simpler when you just take one step at a time. I really hgave learnt to think outside the box.
Today we learnt the few basics of engineering .Our teacher sorted us into groups .We did not know how ever only learn about the basic of egineering but also the basics of team work .We had to design a windmill with a unique computer program which allowed us to set out our windmill in a deconstructed form.
We worked well as a team we(team 4) and team 3 joined to work together as stated in the above paragraph we created a windmill. it seemed easy when we talked about it and drew it but when we were making it on the computer it was difficult. As time went on, our understanding of the construction of the windmill on the computer became easier and more comprehendable.